This course –
Sets out the criteria for a TSCO to operate safely and competently and is seen as the general duties a TSCO would be expected to undertake during a road works contract.
- One day maximum 8 delegates
On completion of the session delegates SHOULD –
- Understand the role of the Traffic Safety Control Officer within the highways management environment and the interface with all stakeholders.
- Be able to assess that Traffic Management Contractors have the necessary resources to complete the task in the allotted time period to the required standard.
- Be able to assess the temporary traffic management has been installed in accordance with the contract requirements and drawings.
- Be able to assess that the temporary traffic management will be sufficient to enable the construction work to be carried out adjacent to live traffic with due regards to safety zones.
- Understand the application of the various Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders introduced on road works schemes.
- Understand the requirement for an emergency lane within the works area.
- Understand current road space application procedures.
- Understand the current Highways Agency’s priorities.
- Understand the requirements of the appropriate National Highways Sector Schemes with regards to competency of Organizations, personnel and equipment.
- Understand the requirements in relation to the use of Temporary Safety Barriers at road works.
- Understand the requirements for recovery operations and CCTV monitoring at road works.
- Understand the process for enforcing speed limits at road works.
- Understand the impact of abnormal load movements in relation to road works.
- Understand the procedures and protocols for commissioning VMS signs.
- Understand the need to communicate the arrangements and keep detailed records.
- Understand the protocols when liaising with Emergency Services.
- Understand the procedure for dealing with a road traffic incident within road works.
- Understand the procedure for commissioning and operating rolling blocks.
- Understand the procedure for winter maintenance activities.
- Written examination, 75% pass mark
Delegates NEED prior knowledge of –
- Volumes 1 and 2 of Chapter 8, the Traffic Signs Manual (current version 2009).
- Relevant Sector Scheme Documents
Awarding Body –
- LANTRA AWARDS